Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content



Eight Mile Plains State School has a proud tradition of 150 years of providing education for the youth of our community. It is a school whose aim is excellence. A school that strives to attain excellence in all aspects of academic, sporting and social achievement.


Over the past 150 years there have been four schools on three different locations in the Eight Mile Plains District.

The first Eight Mile Plains School, situated in Mrs Baker's paddock located between Levington Road and the Glen Hotel, was opened as a provisional school on 7th June, 1869. In the building, originally meant for a church, was accommodation for 30 pupils. Attendance was normally far less. Children used the earth closet in Mrs Baker's yard and obtained their drinking water from her tank.

Early pupils were Marie Allen, Timothy and Edward Bagnall, Mary Evans, James and William Holcroft, James, Mary and Kate Monaghan, Lewis Pakis, Elizabeth Smith, William and Ralph Reynolds.

These extracts from reports, written by School Inspectors to the Board of General Education indicate that conditions in the early days were quite primitive and pupil attendance was not considered important by the scattered population.

1870 The school is held in a small chapel which contains very little suitable furniture. In early part of the year the school was closed on account of the very small and irregular attendance. It has again been opened in the hope that parents will make some effort to send their children to school. The attainments are, as a matter of course, very few and low.

1873 The school is held in a crude building chiefly composed of bark, and, having been erected many years ago, it is now in very indifferent repair. The forms and desks are in keeping with the style of the building, and there is neither blackboard nor clock. The supply of books was insufficient at both visits.

1874 The wretched bark structure which does duty for a schoolroom is falling more and more into decay, and the floor is nearly consumed by the white ant. The furniture is in keeping with the dilapidated building. The teacher is still content to go on without a blackboard. Even the sheet of bark which used to serve as a blackboard has disappeared. Of other material for instruction, there was sufficient for the small attendance. Discipline maintains its effective character but the attendance is very broken, and it is evident that the parents in the district do not appreciate fully the education which is within reach of their children. The instruction is above the standard usual in provisional schools, and the proficiency and progress of the children under the condition of broken attendance is satisfactory.

1875 Some attempts at repairs have lately been made although the bark building is now almost beyond repair and is no longer weatherproof. A good blackboard has been provided by local subscription and the other furniture, though crude, almost suffices for the small requirements. A book press is still needed. The management is somewhat superior for a provisional school, and the teacher is competent for his post. He is a well meaning man of good intelligence, and has proved himself earnest and painstaking. The attendance is irregular, unpunctual and unsteady. 11 children in the district are reported as going to no school.

1877 The walls are open and draughty through holes in the bark and broken glass. The floor is ruinour. There is one firm desk but the other desks and forms are shaky. Very fair order is maintained but the tone is too soft. Writing is the only subject that shows to any advantage. The general proficiency is quite indifferent. The general condition of the school and records are unsatisfactory. The pupils have made little or no progress. 

In 1878 the school was closed because of the state of the building and poor attendance. Many children found it easier to go by train to Coopers Plains School, rather than walk to the local school. Instead of sending them to school, some parents kept their children home to help out with the work. It was not compulsory for parents to send their chiildren to school, as even though the Education Act of 1875 made education compulsory for children aged 6 to 12, the act was not enforced before the turn of the century.

Prior to the school residence being built, there was no private board available. The Eight Mile Plains Hotel - later renamed the Glen - was the only accommodation available. Unfortunately this led to the demise of at least one teacher who was dismissed for neglect of duty. As well, in 1883, the school had to be closed for some time because the lady teacher found the hotel's accommodation unsuitable. Behaviour at the hotel had become quite riotous with the arrival of a new licensee. There were strict behaviour and work conditions laid down for teachers to abide by. There were especially harsh for females. They are listed below.


1929 RACQ approached about erectiing 'caution' signs on main road near school.

1935 Public meeting elected a School Committee.

1936 Tennis court officially opened in the form of a 'Coin Tea' in conjunction with Arbour Day. Electric light installed in school and shed. A 'Switching on of the Lights' dance was held. Wireless purchased for school.

1939 Celebration of 70 year anniversary in form of a 'Show of District Exhibits'. Such exhibits being flowers, fruit, vegetables and honey. School affiliated with School Sports Association.

1955 Completion of tennis court and bitumen parade ground.

1959 Official school opening by Mr Graham Hart MLA.

1960 Bore sunk on bottom oval.

1961 Bore water tested and found safe for human consumption. School sign erected.

1968 Septic toilets installed.

1969 Provision of large entry gates. One new classroom and storeroom built. 100 years celebration. Bottom oval completed.

1970 School consists of 7 classes but only 6 classrooms. A class uses small library room. Extra classroom built.

1971 Erection of new classroom, staff and storeroom.

1973 Erection of infants toilets and covered play area. B block erected. Accommodation for cleaners and groundsman.

1974 B Block completed.

1975 Dept of Works gives approval to enter land adjacent to school for educational purposes.

1976 Erection of F Block. Covered play area under B block converted to Library. Safe installed in school.

1982 Jeffrey Vines wins Stamp Design Competition. Year 7 students introduced to computers. Year of 'tree' - 50 trees planted. Fans installed in classrooms. Bitumen area between C and F Blocks completed. Antique Machinery Fair. Sporting exchange with Mt Druitt district in Sydney.

1983 Irrigation system installed on oval. Lights installed in A block. Health Room provided by Department. Application for Administration building.

1984 SafetyHouse Committee formed. Channel Nine visit school.

1986 Cricket practice nets enclosed. 10 aluminium seats placed around oval. New adventure playground ready for use. Electric kiln installed.

1987 Working bee to install extra seats around oval and netball courts.

1988 Bicentennial celebrations. Time capsule buried under rock in front of Administration Building. To be open on 7.6.2019.

1990 Completion of Administration Building. Introduction of Instrumental music.

2009 Completion of new Resource Centre, undercover area and upgrading of classrooms


In its early years, school sport was limited because of the school's size and the lack of public transport. Through the seventies and eighties, during which time Eight Mile Plaiins had its highest population, the students achieved some remarkable individual and team results on the sporting fields. In a rural atmosphere, keen students and dedicated teachers combined to achieve these high standards. Apart from winning zone and metropolitan championships in team sports such as rugby league and netball, individual students also represented Queensland. In later life, some have represented their country.